Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

From Paper to Electronic Envelopes

I've always been OC when it comes to budgeting. I had to make sure I have everything covered otherwise, we will not eat and my brothers will not go to school. Among the items in my list are Tithes, Bills (Electricity, Water, Cellphone Load, Phone and Internet, Rent, Tuition, Medicard), Food, Transportation, Allowances and Maintenance Expense. (Did you notice? No savings. I'm having hard time allocating money for savings then. Thank God, things have changed.)

I remember how I started, way back when internet banking is not yet accessible to me. I used a small notebook to keep track of all the money that comes out of my coin purse (I don't have a wallet. I find it complicated to use.) I also have a number of envelopes.  And every payday, I put in money in those envelopes. Every envelop is labeled according to my budget categories. Money will only be taken out of these envelops when the schedule to spend the allocated money has come.

Nowadays, there's electronic banking. When payday comes, one just has to log on and pay bills online. Others have it on automatic deduction so they won't even have to think about it. Savings and the rest of the bills that are being paid on larger time intervals can be transferred and kept on separate accounts. All other expenses that are being spent on a day-to-day basis can be kept on the payroll account and can be withdrawn at will (provided what the ATM is online). If you want an audit of these bank transactions, you can always ask for a bank statement (of course it will not audit how much money you spent on buying soy sauce, but I think you know what I mean :P). To top that, did you know that one can open a bank account that comes with Life insurance? Yes, there is. :)

One might say, but I don't even have enough money to budget. True. I agree. I was in the same position then. Back in the time when I'm putting money in those envelopes, I always pray that God would multiply it because my salary is not enough, based on my computation. But month after month, I noticed, we were never in lack. Time came when we even have extra money to finally put into savings. :) As mentioned in the Word, "You have been faithful in a few things. I will put you in charge of many things." I believe that still holds today. So just keep on putting money into those envelopes and be the steward God wants you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment