Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Please Return My Files :(

Before leaving the office, my laptop prompted me not to do a force shutdown because it's installing Microsoft Software Updates. So I waited. Once it's done, I packed it up then went back to the hotel. When I got to the hotel, I turned on my laptop then it showed me the same prompts one sees when installing an operating system from scratch!!!

Then I thought, did I just swipe my hard drive clean???

Imagine the panic of losing all your files just like that. Regret flooded my thoughts.

- You should have created a restore file.
- You should have placed all the completed proposals on the server
- You should have backed up your files regularly
- YOU SHOULD HAVE CREATED A PARTITION!!!

In my mind, I began sorting which of my files has to be restored (non-negotiables) and which ones I can opt to lose (negotiables).

Non-Negotiables: Proposal Files, Admin Files, References, Work Tools, Records, Outlook PSTs.

Negotiables: not telling.Ü

When I think about it, my negotiables consume more hard disk space than my non-negotiables (talk about priority). I resolved to just try to recover my non-negotiables. My negotiables, be gone.

Called my "COMMS" friends for help. Although they have an idea how to recover my files, we don't have the tools and we don't want to risk losing the laptop's warranty.

So now, I'm waiting for Monday to come so I could bring my laptop to our IT guys. Lord, please give them wisdom to recover the files.

In response to this incident, I resolve to ensure that I do the following:

1. Create a disk partition. All system files on drive C. Everything else on the created partition.
2. Create a restore point at least monthly. Also, back up files at least monthly.

First things first though...I hope I get to recover my files.

No comments:

Post a Comment